Boost your fruit and fiber intake with this easy to make Everyday Bowel Cake and avoid constipation by promoting regularity of bowel movements. This healthy low-fat cake is packed full of fiber with simple natural ingredients – bran, fruit, milk, sugar and flour. A diet high in dietary fiber can aid good bowel function and reduce dependence on laxatives.
Everyday Bowel Cake
- Quick and easy to make with one cup each of the 5 ingredients.
- Low Fat – This delicious cake contains no eggs or butter.
- A tasty nutritious way to get your daily dose of bran fiber.
- The Everyday Bowel Cake has a firm but moist texture suitable for wrapping and packing in lunchboxes.
- Great to take to school or work or as an after school snack.
- So simple even the kids can mix it up!
Tips to Avoid Constipation and Maintain Good Bowel Health
- Drink plenty of water – 1 to 2 litres a day
- Eat fresh fruit and vegetables
- Increase fibre in your diet gradually by eating wholegrain and high-fibre foods
- Don’t skip meals
- Get some exercise daily
- Avoid highly processed foods
- Limit coffee, tea and soft drinks containing caffeine.
- Repeated use of laxatives can make constipation worse.
- Some medications, painkillers containing codeine and iron supplements may contribute to constipation. Ask your doctor for advice.
- Definitely see your doctor If constipation persists or you have any bleeding from the bowel.
Good Food Sources of Dietary Fiber
Fruit– in particular blackberries & raspberries, grapes, oranges, passion fruit, pawpaw, mango, apple with skin, and dried fruits – prunes, sultanas, raisins, apricots and figs.
Vegetables – particularly beans, lentils,corn, potato with skin, peas, parsnips, carrots, red cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli.
Nuts & Snacks– all nuts but in particular almonds & brazil nuts, fresh & dried coconut, sunflower seeds and popped corn.
Bread and Grains– Oat porridge, cooked barley, bran cereals, unprocessed bran and cereals containing the whole wheat grain are richest in dietary fiber. Wholemeal pasta and wholemeal bread have more than double the dietary fibre of the white alternative.
Everyday Bowel Cake Recipe
- 1 cup Kellogg’s All Bran or Vogels Bran with Soy & Linseed or other formed bran cereal
- 1 cup dried fruit (sultanas or mixed dried fruit or dried chopped apricots or currants or a combination of these)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup self rising flour
- Lightly combine Bran cereal, dried fruit and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Stir in milk and leave to absorb for 1 hour.
- After an hour or more, fold in self-raising flour.
- Spoon mixture into an oiled loaf pan or small square cake pan.
Decorate the top of cake mixture with almonds or other nuts before baking.
For 50 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.